In 2023, we were able to bring the forest movement together in Białowieża Forest in Poland. One of the last remaining primeval forests in Europe on the border with Belarus. It was one of the largest FMEs of all time with more than 75 participants, including many new people who we hope will be rejoining us in the future. It was hosted by Pracownia – Workshop for all beings.
The main issues discussed were:
- Forest Management and the forest movement in Poland
- Forests in a changing climate
- Clearcut for the bioeconomy?
- A vison for EU forests
- The wall. Humanitarian and environmental crisis in Białowieża Forest
- How data-driven technologies are changing environmental politics
- Activists and NGOs how do we work better together?
- Forests and mining
- Fighting the pulp and paper industry.
In addition we had several visits to the forest and to the wall between Poland and Belarus which is causing such devastation to people on the move escaping persecution as well as wildlife.